You can make and freeze the unbaked crust up to a week ahead; bake the pie up to a day in advance, and refrigerate. Remove it from the refrigerator about an hour before you plan to serve it.
Yield: 10 servings (serving size: 1 wedge and about 1 tablespoon topping)
- 1 1/3 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- ½ teaspoon finely ground sea salt
- ½ stick well-chilled Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening Sticks
- OR ½ cup well-chilled Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 3 to 6 tablespoons ice cold water
- 1 cup brown rice syrup or dark corn syrup
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon finely ground sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare crust BLEND flour and salt in medium mixing bowl.
- CUT chilled shortening into 1/2-inch cubes. Cut in chilled shortening cubes into flour mixture, using a pastry blender, in an up and down chopping motion, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs with some small pea-sized pieces remaining.
- SPRINKLE half the maximum recommended amount of ice cold water over the flour mixture. Using a fork, stir and draw flour from bottom of bowl to the top, distributing moisture evenly into flour. Press chunks down to bottom of bowl with fork. Add more water by the tablespoon, until dough is moist enough to hold together when pressed together.
- Gently press mixture into a 4-inch circle on 2 sheets of overlapping heavy-duty plastic wrap; cover with 2 additional sheets of overlapping plastic wrap. Roll dough, still covered, into a 12-inch circle. Freeze dough 10 minutes or until plastic wrap can easily be removed.
- Remove dough from freezer. Remove top 2 sheets of plastic wrap; let the dough stand 1 minute or until pliable. Fit dough, plastic wrap side up, into a 9-inch pie plate, allowing dough to extend over edge. Remove remaining plastic wrap. Press dough into bottom and up sides of pie plate. Fold edges under; flute. Bake at 350° for 8 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- To prepare filling, place syrup and next 5 ingredients (through egg white) in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Stir in pecans and vanilla.
- Pour filling into prepared crust. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until edges puff and center is set (shield edges of piecrust with foil if crust gets too brown).
- Cool on a wire rack.
- To prepare the topping, combine the whipped topping and bourbon until blended. Serve with pie.