Grilled Pizza with home made Pizza Sauce
- In stand mixer stir yeast into one and one half cups warm water until dissolved. Add one quarter cup oil, the flour and salt. Mix with dough hook on low speed to blend, and then mix on medium speed until the dough is smooth and stretchy. Dough will feel tacky.
- Cover and let rise at room temp until doubled (about one and a half hours).
- Punch down and let rise again (about 35 to 45 min). Meanwhile cut 6 pieces of parchment paper each about 12 inches long. Prepare grill to 350 degrees.
- Turn dough onto a work surface and cut into 6 portions. For each pizza lay a piece of parchment on the work surface and rub with 1 tsp of oil. Using well oiled hands put each dough portion on a parchment sheet. Flatten dough portions, and then pat into 9 or 10 inch rounds. If dough starts to shrink let it rest 5 minutes, then pat out again. Let dough stand until puffy, about 15 min.
- Flip a round of dough onto grill, dough side down. Peel off parchment paper. Put one or two more rounds on the grill. Cook, covered until dough is puffed and grill marks appear underneath (about 3 minutes). Transfer rounds, grilled side up to the baking sheets. Grilled rounds can stand at room temp for up to 2 hours. Reheat grill to continue.
- Add your home made pizza sauce (recipe below called Ripe Tomato Sauce) and arrange your choice of toppings on grilled side of dough. With a wide spatula, return pizzas 2 or 3 at a time, to grill and cook, covered, until browned and crisp underneath, rotating pizzas once for even cooking, 4 to 6 minutes.
Ripe tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 4 large chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp red chili flakes
- ½ tsp ground sea salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- Heat olive oil in sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add minced garlic and cook, stirring until fragrant (about 1 min).
- Stir in chopped tomatoes, sugar, red chili flakes sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Bring mixture to boil then reduce to low and simmer, stirring often, until very thick, about 1 and a half hours.
- Stir in fresh 1 tbsp fresh oregano