Hawaiian Style Shrimp Scampi
- 1 pound large Shrimp, shell on, deveined
- 3/4 cup Clarified Butter (see instructions below)
- 1 head Garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup Flour
- 2 Tbsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne
- 1/4 cup White Wine
- 1-2 tsp Sea Salt
- CalRose rice to serve with
Clarified Butter is recommended, since it has a higher smoke point than regular butter. This will help to prevent the butter and garlic from burning as it cooks. For my easy photo guide to clarifying butter. Two sticks of butter will produce just the right amount of clarified butter for this recipe. Cut unsalted butter into chunks. Always use unsalted butter to make clarified butter. Here is how to clarify butter:
Clarified Butter Directions:
- Over very low heat, slowly heat the butter until it is completely melted. Do not simmer the butter.
- Some of the milk solids will create a foam on the surface of the butter.
- Use a spoon to carefully skim off and discard the milk solids.
- You will reveal the layer of clarified butter.
- Slowly pour clarified butter into a cup, being careful not to pour in the layer of milk solids which will have collected on the bottom.
- Two sticks of butter will produce about 6 ounces of clarified butter. It can be refrigerated until you are ready to use.
Shrimp Scampi Directions:
- Check that the shrimp have been deveined.
- Combine the flour, paprika, and cayenne pepper in a dish.
- Toss the shrimp in the flour mixture to coat.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the clarified butter and garlic.
- Cook for a minute or two, then add the shrimp in a single layer. Cook for 3-4 minutes on one side, then turn the shrimp and cook for 3-4 minutes on the other side
- Add the white wine and salt. Cook for a minute or two. Serve with a side of CalRose white rice and spoon over some of the sauce from the Scampi over the rice