Friday, February 1, 2013

Southern Chicken Pastry

Southern Chicken Pastry 
This is something I've heard about for years. I've been craving it, even though I had no idea what it tasted like.  Something about chicken and pastry just made my mouth water.    

 So anyway, tired of waiting I realized I could probably just wing it and figure it out for myself.  Heck I know how to make a great chick soup base.  So off I went!


Ingredients:
  • Whole chicken or cut up whole chicken
  • Knorr Bullion, Granulated, Chicken flavored
  • 3 cups flour + 1-2 cups (or more for kneading and rolling out)
  • 1 egg (optional)
  • 3-4 tablespoons pepper (adjust per your preference) 
  • 2 tsp salt
  • milk (I forgot to measure it... add 1/4 cup at a time until the dough is very sticky and holds together

  
Directions for soup base:

  1. Clean the chicken, rinse well.  Add to a stock pot and fill with water.  Bring to a boil and turn down to medium low and cook until the chicken falls of the bone.  I personally start my soup at night and allow it to cook on low over night.  Once the chicken is done remove from heat and cool. 
  2.  Strain broth into another container leaving the bones, skin and meat in the strainer.  Separate and remove all bone and skin and keep only the chicken meat.  Place the meat back in the broth.  Allow to warm up.  Taste and add Knorr granulated bullion as needed to get to the wonderful chicken soup base.

Directions for pastry:
  1. Combine 3 cups flour, 3-4 tablespoons pepper, 2 tsp salt.  Mix well with a fork.  
  2. Add egg (optional) if you do add this using the fork mix the egg into the flour mixture well breaking it up as much as possible.
  3. Start adding 1/4 cup at a time of milk to the mixture, stirring well with a fork to combine.  Keep adding until the mixture sticks together and resembles a sticky blob.
  4. Add flour to the counter and place the pastry on the flour.  Kneed adding flour until it is no longer sticky.  Keeping the pastry floured roll out as thin as you can get it.
  5. Use a pizza wheel to cut the pastry into strips. 
  6. Now walk away and let them sit to dry for about 45 minutes.




 Final Directions Chicken Pastry:
  1.  Bring the soup base to a rapid boil
  2. Add the pastry a handful at a time, until all are added.  Stir well.  Leave at a boil for at least 30 minutes, stirring every so often.
  3. Reduce to a simmer and serve up in bowls.  This was a total hit and something I will make again on any cold winter day when I'm looking for a comfort food.  It was so out of this world. 

MMMMMMM ENJOY :) 

This makes a wonderful leftover too.  The next day it was somehow even better!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment